FOUNDERS GRANTS: Concept Development & Project Fulfillment - Applications for 2020 NOW CLOSED
Funding theatre projects of excellence and national significance for young people.
FOUNDERS GRANTS CRITERIA 2021 - Pending…
The focus and criteria for CTFA's FOUNDERS GRANTS will have changes.
Influenced by the impact of COVID-19 upon theatre, schools, artists, and all practitioners of theatre for children, CTFA is wrestling with determining what will be our part in triage for our field of TYA.
We will leave our 2020 criteria, as a bookmark in our website. The new criteria will replace it, when our focus and process is clarified.
2020 Founders Project Fulfillment Grant funded project begins no earlier than September 1, 2020 and is to be completed by August 30, 2022. Application period CLOSED.
CHILDREN’S THEATRE FOUNDATION OF AMERICA – CTFA
Founders Project Fulfillment Grant 2020
FUNDING THEATRE PROJECTS OF EXCELLENCE
AND NATIONAL SIGNIFICANCE
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
Our Mission: The Children’s Theatre Foundation challenges and supports theatre artists to achieve excellence in service to young people.
Children and Youth
The Art of Theatre
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Founders Project Fulfillment Grant Committee is seeking applications that focus on dismantling racism. CTFA will support a ground-breaking project by a not-for-profit theatre that comes to a culmination ready to be shared with the public through production, public display, or publication.
Because our audiences are primarily made up of young people, school groups and families, CTFA embraces the opportunity to show leadership in dismantling institutional and structural racism. We support theatre artists and organizations that embody the values of diversity, equity and inclusion in demonstrable ways and promote the involvement of communities that have been historically disadvantaged and socially and politically excluded based on race. (See the CTFA Equity/Diversity/Inclusion (EDI) Statement https://www.childrenstheatrefoundation.org/)
WHAT WE FUND
◼︎ CTFA will fund a creative and visionary project that will advance the field of theatre for young audiences and serve as a model to address issues of social justice and inclusion.
◼︎ A project that goes above and beyond traditional concepts of theatre for young people in terms of:
- Content: subject matter, themes explored, non-traditional characters, etc.
- Methodology: scripted plays, devised works, immersive experiences, etc.
- Interaction: partnerships, ancillary events, community engagement.
- Evaluation: concrete ways to measure impact and success.
◼︎ Funding can cover production costs including but not limited to script commissions, artist fees, innovative design applications, new uses of technology, partnerships between theatres, schools, universities and diverse communities, travel, extraordinary educational or outreach opportunities.
◼︎ Founders Fulfillment Grants may have a changing focus from year to year to reflect priorities deemed by the Foundation to be of crucial importance to children and to the artists serving the field
WHO MAY APPLY
◼︎ Not-for-profit (501C3 IRS certified) theatres in the United States, established for at least five consecutive years, with a public record of artistic quality in creating work for young audiences and a demonstrated commitment to diversity in leadership.
- Theatres, not previously known for producing work for young and family audiences, may apply; but the specific project under consideration must serve children, youth, schools, communities and/or families.
FUNDING SPECIFICS AND RESTRICTIONS
- • One recipient will be selected in 2020.
- • Funding amount up to $30,000.
- • Grant must be for a culminating theatrical project, public display, publication or production.
- • Only one CTFA grant proposal per year may be submitted by an applicant.
- • Previous receipt of a Founders Concept Development Grant is not necessary for consideration for a Project Fulfillment Grant, nor will it affect an applicant’s chances of selection positively or negatively.
- • All Founders Project Fulfillment Grant recipients must provide a funding match that is no less than 50% of the grant request.
- Salaries and in-kind services may be counted toward the match but must relate specifically to this project.
- • The funding time frame for 2020 Founders Project Fulfillment Grants begins no earlier than September 1, 2020 and is to be completed by August 30, 2022.
- • The Grant award will be distributed by CTFA to the recipient in three payments on the schedule below or three other mutually agreed upon dates during the two year span of the project.
- Sept. 1, 2020 or thereafter upon receipt of the signed contract.
- Sept. 1, 2021 or at a mid-point of the grant period if the project timeline is less than 2 years.
- At the project’s conclusion and upon receipt of awardee’s final report, no later than August 30, 2022.
- REQUIRED ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Recipients of any CTFA Grant must include the CTFA logo in all official programs, publications and marketing and the statement: “Funded in part by a Founders Grant from the Children’s Theatre Foundation of America.”
- All Founders Fulfillment Grants will be assigned a CTFA Board Liaison to serve as a resource for the creative team.
- If a play script or other tangible creative work is the outcome, in part or whole, of the grant, that work must be made available through publication, production, or public dissemination of results within three years of completion of the grant.
WHAT WE DO NOT FUND:
◼︎ General operating support or projects that are part of the ongoing work of the applicant that represent the normal, regular and/or on-going season or projects usually part of the applicant’s programming.
◼︎ Free performances or ticket subsidies for ongoing season offerings.
◼︎ Activities undertaken for academic credit.
SELECTION PROCESS: Founders Fulfillment Grants have a TWO STEP application process
- STEP 1: REQUEST TO SUBMIT (RTS) APPLICATION
- Application: a short application, outlining overall grant project request and information about the applicant. SEE RTS APPLICATION FORM HERE: https://forms.gle/hBESHEKfok6PuvMe9
- Deadline: Tuesday, January 14, 2020.
- 2020 Criteria for proposal evaluation
- How does the project address issues of racial equity, diversity and inclusion?
- How does the project indicate the potential for excellence in theatre artistry?
- How is this project innovative?
- How does this project demonstrate national significance and impact upon the field?
- STEP 2: FINAL GRANT APPLICATION
- RTS Applications will be reviewed by the CTFA Founders Grants Committee and Finalists will be chosen to proceed to STEP 2.
- Finalists will be contacted by February 24, 2020.
- Finalists will be provided with the final Founders Project Fulfillment Grant Application Form.
- Final applications will be due on or before April 27, 2020.
Submit the RTS Founders Project Fulfillment Grant Application online by Tuesday, January 14, 2020
QUESTIONS? Read: GUIDANCE & FAQS
Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or require any assistance